Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Notes on Using the Free American History Curriculum

I started out compiling resources to supplement All American History, Volume 1 that I am using to teach a middle school co-op class. I quickly decided that instead of buying a separate history curriculum for my younger students at home, I would simply use what I already had.

You are free to use the free American history curriculum however you want. If you are also using All American History, Volume 1, this would serve as a great supplement. If you are using another American history curriculum you can easily find the topic you are learning about and click on it for links, videos, projects, and resources. If you do not have any history curriculum then you can use this as a stand alone curriculum. Some weeks there is more than others. Some projects and resources are geared towards younger kids while others are geared towards older kids. I like the saying, "Take what you like and leave the rest". You do not have to watch every video or do every project. The point is, like any curriculum, to make it work for you. Never be a slave to a curriculum. The joy of homeschooling is learning freely!

I would recommend having a notebook for each student to collect their work in as you go. A 1" binder should do the trick. It will also serve as a great keepsake. If your state requires you keep records, you can simply copy and paste the list of topics from the free American history home page and stick it at the front of the binder as proof of the topics you studied. Basic supplies like crayons, pencils, and paper are also recommended. You will also need a printer (or at least access to one).

In my opinion, using this as a stand alone program is more than enough for elementary and middle school students. You may want to require extra reading for high school students (though unit 3 is pretty heavy on the reading). Again, it's completely up to you! You know your own children best!

Most everything is "click and go". There isn't really any planning required. Occasionally I will link to a recipe or craft. You may want to glance ahead a week and see if there is something you may need to get on your grocery trip, but you could also skip those activities too.

EVERYTHING linked is completely free.

I want to take a moment to thank every person/company who created a resource, website, video, recipe, or project I have linked to. Without all these amazing people and companies putting their work online (for free!!!) this would not be possible. So THANK YOU! If you download something from a blog or Teachers Pay Teachers store that I link to, please make sure to leave them a comment thanking them for their hard work! A nice comment can make someone's day brighter!

Lastly, please share this with others. I want other people to use this. I hope that it will help even one mom in her homeschooling endeavors, but the more the merrier. If you have a fantastic idea or activity, or want to share pictures or comments as you go along, then please do! I would love to see others using and enjoying this, because it took me for-e-ver. If you're reading this on July 21st, then I'm actually not even finished, haha!

Thank you for reading, for sharing, and keep up the good work in educating your children!

P.S. Final note: The first 2 lessons aren't as "good" as the others. I put those together when I thought I would be the only one viewing them. I will probably eventually re-visit them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment